Romanian Cheese Pie (Placinta cu Branza)

This pie is one of the sweetest memories I have of Romania...  I remember going to the pie place and getting a big chunk of this.  It would make me soooo happy!  I've been looking for a recipe to make it for years.  I really thought I was never going to find one.  Then one day I got lucky and stumbled over this blog.  Yes, she did have THE recipe!   I made the pie for Christmas and oooohhh how happy I was!  It really tasted like the one I remember!  Sooooo good!  The even better part is that is super easy to make and all the ingredients are very common here in the US.  I slightly altered it, but it's mainly the same recipe she posted.  Enjoy!
Ingredients:
-1/2 package phyllo dough sheets (about 20 sheets)
-about 1 cup melted butter, for brushing
-24 oz cottage cheese
-5 large eggs
-2 cups crumbled feta
-1/2 cup + 2 Tbs buttermilk
-1 Tbs flour
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Thaw phyllo sheets according to package instructions.
In a large bowl mix cottage cheese, eggs, feta, buttermilk and flour.
Butter the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan.  Lightly butter (one by one) 5 phyllo sheets.  Place them in the pan.  Spread 1 1/2 cups of cheese mixture on top of phyllo sheets.  Butter 5 more sheets and place in pan.  Pour more cheese mixture.  Repeat process again.  At the end, you should have 5 buttered sheets on top.  You can make it up to this point, cover and put it in the fridge for about 2 days (if you want to make it ahead for a party or other festivity).
 Bake in preheated oven for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown.  Serve warm.  Enjoy!

Comments

Maddy S said…
Mama ce pofta mi-ai facut. Asta m-a facut sa ma gandesc si la merdenele si mama facea si o placinta cu branza dulce si stafide. Iami. Mersi ca postezi asa retete bune Ioana. marfa blog.
Ioana said…
Multumesc, Madi! Ma bucur ca iti place. Pofta buna!:)

Popular Posts