Beignets

This is a really quick recipe with tasty results.  It reminds me of the homemade doughnuts my mom used to make when I grew up.  Of course, I had to make these after my kids watched The Princess and the Frog, even if I'm a couple of years late! lol  But better late than never, right?  Enjoy!
Ingredients:
-3/4 cup warm water
-1 packet active dry yeast
-1/4 cup sugar, plus a pinch
-pinch of salt
-1 large egg
-1/2 cup evaporated milk
-4 cups flour
-2 Tbs vegetable shortening
-vegetable oil for frying
-powdered sugar for dusting
Directions:
Mix yeast, water and pinch of sugar in large mixing bowl.  Let sit for 10 minutes, or until yeast is foamy.  Add the 1/4 cup sugar, pinch of salt, egg, and evaporated milk.  Mix well.  Add half the flour and stir until well combined.  Add shortening, then gradually the rest of the flour.  The dough should be fairly firm.  Transfer dough to a greased bowl.  Cover with plastic wrap and let it rise in warm spot for 3-4 hours or until doubled in bulk.
Turn dough onto slightly floured surface.  Using a rolling pin, stretch dough until about 1/4 inch thick.  Cut in desired shapes (I cut mine in circles).  Heat oil in large frying pan or deep fryer.  Fry beignets until golden brown.  Set to drain on paper towels.  Generously sprinkle them with powdered sugar.  Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Tyler Florence.

Comments

Popular Posts