Quick Gumbo

I have never tasted okra until a couple of years ago.  I instantly fell in love with it.  That was when I tried gumbo for the first time in my life.  I recently came across a Weight Watchers recipe and absolutely loved it.  I tweaked it a little bit according to my family’s liking and I can say that it’s a success!  It’s not as spicy as a normal gumbo, but this way my children can enjoy it as well as I hope you will.
Ingredients:
-8 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
-1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped or 1 cup of frozen chopped green pepper
-12 scallions, sliced
-2 garlic cloves, minced
-1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
-4 cups chicken broth
-1 bag frozen sliced okra
-1/2 teaspoon cayenne
-1 cup regular long-grain rice
-1 pound frozen shrimp (peeled, deveined and cooked)-remove tails
-1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
-about 16 slices of kielbasa
Directions:
In a large nonstick saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil.  Saute the bell pepper, scallions and garlic until softened (about 5 minutes).  Stir in tomatoes, broth, okra and cayenne.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Stir in the rice, cover and simmer for another 15 minutes.  Add the chicken and kielbasa; simmer, covered for about 20 minutes.  The chicken needs to be fully cooked and the rice tender.  Add the shrimp, stir and enjoy!  If you want more kick, you can add a couple drops Tabasco sauce.

Comments

Popular Posts