Peas and pork (Mancare de mazare)

This is another one of the yummy comfort foods I grew up with.  I absolutely love this dish.  It is extremely easy to make, fast and delicious.  My older brother and I pretended to be giants eating the little people (the peas).  How much fun that was!  I told my children about it and they now have fun with it.  I hope y'all give this yummy dish a try.  I chose to use fried pork  this time, but you can use fried chicken as well.  Enjoy!
Ingredients:
-4 cans sweet peas, rinsed and drained
-4 cans water
-1 medium onion, finely chopped (or a handful of dehydrated onion)
-2 Tbs tomato paste
-salt
-pepper
-1 Tbs cornstarch
-1 lb pork
-seasoned salt
-pepper
-frying oil
Directions:
If using raw or frozen onion, saute it in 1 Tbs vegetable oil in a large saucepan, until translucent.  Add the peas and water, and let it cook on low heat.  If using the dehydrated onions, add it now, after mixing the peas and water.  Add the tomato paste and mix well. 
Meanwhile, cut the pork into bite size pieces and lightly season them with the seasoned salt and pepper.  Fry in a little oil until golden brown on all sides.  Once cooked, drain them on paper towels. 
Take about 1/4 cup of the water out of the sauce pan in a small container.  Add the cornstarch and mix until nice and creamy (no lumps).  Add the mixture to the peas.  Add the salt and pepper to taste.  Add the pork and let everything simmer for about 10 minutes, until the flavors blend together.  Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts