Romanian Fresh Tomato Soup with Noodles (Supa de Rosii Proaspete cu Taitei)

One of my neighbors had tons of very ripe tomatoes that she was just going to throw away!  Her garden produced so much this summer and she was just done with canning and preparing all the goods.  Luckily for me, she realized that some people might find some use in her tomatoes, bell peppers and jalapenos, so she decided to just offer them for free to everyone who would pass by her house.  I was one of the lucky ones.:)  My very first thought when I saw the tomatoes, was I will make my mom's tomato soup that I grew  up with.  It is packed with delicious fresh vegetables and the taste is out of this world!  So fresh and delicious!  I just can't get enough of this goodness!  Also, instead of peeling the tomatoes, you grate them on the bumpy side.  That way, all the goodness comes out, without the peel and yucky part.  Make sure you give this one a try.  You will definitely not regret it!  Enjoy!
Ingredients:
-5 lbs very ripe tomatoes
-2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
-1 small onion, finely chopped
-1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
-1 small carrot, peeled and finely grated
-4 cups water
-salt and pepper to taste (I add about 1 Tbs salt and 2 tsp pepper)
-4 oz fine egg noodles
Directions:
Grate the tomatoes in a large bowl, as shown below, until all the juice, seeds and pulp is out of them. You will use all of that, except for the skin.
Set all the fresh tomato juice aside.
Heat the oil in large saucepan.  Add the onion, bell pepper and carrot.  Cook until veggies are tender, about 5 minutes.  Add the tomatoes and water.  Stir well.
Bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper.  Add the noodles, stir and cook for about 10 minutes or until noodles are done.
Adjust the seasoning, if necessary.  Ladle into bowls and serve.  Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts