Romanian Hearty Stew (Tocăniță)

I always love a nice bowl of stew on a cold winter day.  This is nice and hearty; perfect for the winter.  It goes perfect with either polenta/mamaliga or some nice hot rolls.   Enjoy!
Ingredients:
-1 Tbs oil
-1 small onion, chopped
-8 oz mushrooms, sliced
-4 cups water
-1 lb chicken gizzards and hearts, well rinsed and roughly chopped
-3-4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
-1 Tbs cornstarch
-3 Tbs tomato paste
-salt and pepper, to taste
-dried parsley
Directions:
Heat oil in large stockpot.  Add onion and mushrooms.  Saute for about 5 minutes. 
Add the water, gizzards and hearts, and potatoes.  Bring to a boil.  Lower the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Scoop a little liquid from the mix and mix in the cornstarch.  Pour cornstarch mixture back in the pot.  Give it a good stir.  Add the tomato paste and mix well.  Simmer for 10-15 more minutes.  Season well with salt and pepper, to taste.  Sprinkle some dried parsley.  Serve hot.  Enjoy!

Comments

Nicole said…
Buna Ioana!! I love your blog! I have been reading a lot about how organ meats are good for you. I think I had liver and kidney in Romania and Moldova, but - in the case that I can convince myself to eat them - here in the states where do you get gizzards and hearts like this recipe calls for? Just at the regular grocery store? Am I missing them? Thanks so much for all the work you have put into sharing your recipes can't wait to try some more!
Ioana said…
Buna Nicole! Yes, I just get them from the local grocery store (even Walmart has them). They're usually in the poultry section and they're very inexpensive (less than $2 for a large pack).
Thank you so much for your kind works!
Your hearty stew looks warm, comforting, and full of rich homemade flavor! 🥘 I love simple, traditional recipes that bring people together around the table. Thanks for sharing this delicious dish. It reminds me of the comforting meals featured on the McAlister's deli menu 2026.

Popular Posts