Romanian Hearty Stew (Tocăniță)

I always love a nice bowl of stew on a cold winter day.  This is nice and hearty; perfect for the winter.  It goes perfect with either polenta/mamaliga or some nice hot rolls.   Enjoy!
Ingredients:
-1 Tbs oil
-1 small onion, chopped
-8 oz mushrooms, sliced
-4 cups water
-1 lb chicken gizzards and hearts, well rinsed and roughly chopped
-3-4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
-1 Tbs cornstarch
-3 Tbs tomato paste
-salt and pepper, to taste
-dried parsley
Directions:
Heat oil in large stockpot.  Add onion and mushrooms.  Saute for about 5 minutes. 
Add the water, gizzards and hearts, and potatoes.  Bring to a boil.  Lower the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Scoop a little liquid from the mix and mix in the cornstarch.  Pour cornstarch mixture back in the pot.  Give it a good stir.  Add the tomato paste and mix well.  Simmer for 10-15 more minutes.  Season well with salt and pepper, to taste.  Sprinkle some dried parsley.  Serve hot.  Enjoy!

Comments

Nicole said…
Buna Ioana!! I love your blog! I have been reading a lot about how organ meats are good for you. I think I had liver and kidney in Romania and Moldova, but - in the case that I can convince myself to eat them - here in the states where do you get gizzards and hearts like this recipe calls for? Just at the regular grocery store? Am I missing them? Thanks so much for all the work you have put into sharing your recipes can't wait to try some more!
Ioana said…
Buna Nicole! Yes, I just get them from the local grocery store (even Walmart has them). They're usually in the poultry section and they're very inexpensive (less than $2 for a large pack).
Thank you so much for your kind works!

Popular Posts