Slow Cooker Jambalaya and Meal Planning

I want to share my meal planning with you today, because I've been doing it for years and it works.  We are a large family and on a very tight budget.  I started doing this a long time ago, when my first child was a tiny little toddler.  I plan my meals weekly and make my shopping list, to which I stick.  It saves us a lot of money and we get to enjoy wonderful meals from scratch.  Of course we eat out once in a while too!  But it's usually fast food stuff which is not the healthiest and it costs a lot.  So here's an example of my meal calendar that I place on the fridge each week.  There's nothing fancy about it, but it works for us (sorry for my horrible hand writing).
Mu husband and kids get to choose some meals occasionally too, but they usually leave it up to me to choose, so I have fun experimenting. :)
Now I want you to tell me what works for you?  How do you plan your meals?  I'm excited to hear what you have to say about this.  Thanks in advance!
Now on to our recipe for today: jambalaya in the slow cooker!  Yum!  It's super easy and delicious.  I love how the flavors come together and basically zero effort on my part.  That's the kind of meal I love. :)  Make sure to have some cooked rice to serve it with.  Enjoy!
Ingredients:
-1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes, with the juice
-2 cups chicken broth
-1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
-2 green pepper, seeded and chopped
-1 onion, chopped
-5 garlic cloves, minced
-1 Tbs dried parsley flakes
-1 1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
-1 1/4 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
-1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce
-2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cut into chunks
-1 lb Polska Kielbasa, halved and sliced
-12 oz raw medium shrimp, peeled, deveined, with tails removed
-cooked rice
Directions:
Place tomatoes with their juice, broth and tomato paste in the slow cooker.  Mix until well combined.  Add the green pepper, onion, garlic, parsley, oregano, salt, cayenne and hot sauce.  Mix well.  Add the chicken and sausage.  Give it a good stir, cover and cook on low for 4 hours.  Stir in the shrimp and cook on low for 15-30 more minutes or until shrimp is nice and pink.
Serve over cooked rice.  Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts