Caramel Steamer

I was reading this book called "Cross my Heart" by Julie Wright and the main character had quite an addiction to caramel steamers.  I have never had one, but it sounded really yummy, so I looked it up.  It appears to be a simple mixture of hot milk and caramel sauce.  So I went to work and whipped up some simple homemade caramel sauce to mix with my hot milk.  Result?  Delicious!!!  I love this quick little treat that I can enjoy now.  I hope you enjoy it too!
Ingredients:
-2/3 cup sugar
-1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
-1/2 cup heavy cream
-1 tsp lemon juice
-1/4 tsp salt
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-hot milk
Directions:
In a medium saucepan, mix the sugar with the butter.  Cook over low-medium heat, undisturbed for about 8 minutes or until it becomes a beautiful golden-brown color.  Now you can give it a good stir.  Add the heavy cream, lemon juice and salt.  Cook for another minute.  Stir in the vanilla.  Mix and remove from stove.  
To make the steamer, fill a regular 10 oz cup with milk. Microwave for a couple of minutes or until very hot (do not boil!).  Add 4-5 Tbs of the caramel sauce and mix very well.  Enjoy your steamer!
Store remaining caramel sauce in the fridge until ready to use again.  Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts